- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D. (1974)
- University of Illinois School of Business, B.S. (1971), Dean's List
Trial Attorney, U.S. Department of Justice, Antitrust Division, Washington, D.C. (1974 to 1978): Investigated and litigated civil and criminal violations of the federal antitrust laws. Responsibilities included running grand jury investigations into price fixing conspiracies and investigating the legality of corporate acquisitions, mergers and joint ventures.
Partner, Culp Dwyer Guterson & Grader, Seattle, Washington (1978 to 1995); Managing Partner (1991 to 1995): Management responsibility for this 50-attorney firm.
McNaul Ebel Nawrot & Helgren PLLC, Seattle, Washington (1995 to 2006): One of the founding members of a 20-lawyer firm specializing in complex commercial litigation.
Selected Representative Matters
Rob Stewart's practice has focused on complex civil litigation. He has litigated antitrust, securities fraud, engineering and construction, employment discrimination and other claims. He has extensive experience representing both plaintiffs and defendants in class actions.
- Antitrust and consumer protection—Experience in litigation involving price fixing, monopolization and consumer protection issues. Represented plaintiffs in several cases that resulted in multimillion dollar recoveries. Prepared antitrust compliance manuals, taught corporate seminars on antitrust issues and generally advised corporations concerning antitrust compliance.
- Securities litigation—Served as lead counsel for the Washington Public Power Supply System (WPPSS) in litigation arising from the largest bond default in U.S. history. Represented officers of Microsoft, Intermec, Charter Communications, Vulcan, and Portland General Electric in class action securities cases. Represented targets of SEC investigations into insider trading. Advised accountants involved in litigation concerning financial disclosure issues.
- Shareholder lawsuits—Represented both shareholders and management in litigation over corporate management issues.
- Class action litigation—Represented plaintiffs and defendants in major class action lawsuits. Represented plaintiffs in an employment discrimination lawsuit in which the class recovered in excess of $75 million.
- Legal malpractice—Retained by lawyers to defend them in litigation involving claims of legal malpractice.
- Engineering and construction litigation—Represented owners in litigation involving engineering and construction issues. In 1998, won a complete victory for Energy Northwest after a three week trial in a lawsuit involving a $20 million construction claim. Represents the Seattle Public School District in litigation involving construction issues.
- Contracts—Extensive experience with litigation involving commercial contracts.
- Real estate title issues—Represented clients in numerous cases involving title defects, restrictive covenants and easements.
Admissions and Community Service
American Bar Association
Washington State Bar Association
Instructor, National Institute for Trial Advocacy Deposition Training Programs
Lecturer, Washington State Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Seminars